Last updated on May 7, 2021
Nomorobo is basically a robocall and telemarketing blocking service. They have a free account option which is for your VoIP landline, then a paid option for mobile phones.
I use this at my Mother’s home, as those robocall and telemarketers constantly call her landline. It works great, once you understand how it works. 🙂
This post is for those using Nomorobo for their VoIP landline phones.
WHAT IS A VOIP LANDLINE?
VoIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol and is a phone technology that allows you to make and receive phone calls using the internet instead of traditional phone lines.
VoIP telephone services are often offered as an additional service by your internet service providers such as Xfinity/Comcast, Verizon, or Centurylink to name a few. Of course, there are many others, plus commercial services that do nothing but VoIP services (for both residential and business).
FIRST STEP: SIGN UP
The first step is to sign up for a free account, which is for your VoIP landline phone.
You’ll need to verify your email and get the service-connected to your VoIP landline phone, just follow their directions. It’s not difficult.
SECOND STEP: LOG INTO YOUR ACCOUNT
Once you have Nomorobo connected to your VoIP landline phone and have verified your email that you used to sign up for the free account, log into your Nomorobo account.
Upon a successful log in, you’ll be at the dashboard which usually shows some “Getting Started” questions and then a menu at the top of the screen.
Click on the Your Phones menu item to make sure the Nomorobo system has the right phone number protected. You can also add other VOIP landline phones (that you have access to).
OK, NOW WHAT?
You have to allow your phone to ring at least twice, if the phone only rings once then Nomorobo blocked the call.
If it keeps ringing then either you know who is calling you or someone is calling you that the Nomorobo system doesn’t know yet (which is common).
THIRD STEP: REPORT A NUMBER
If a number gets through, that is a robocall or telemarketer, scammer, etc., then you need to report that number. You can do this two different ways,
- Log into your Nomorobo account and go to the Report a Number menu. Then fill out the form on that page.
- You can report a number by calling or texting the number you want to block to (608) 371-6666.
ADDITIONAL THINGS TO DO
Tips to Stop Unwanted Robocalls and Avoid Phone Scams
The complete list of tips can be found on the FCC website. These tips apply to any phone that you may answer or use.
- Don’t answer calls from unknown numbers. If you answer such a call, hang up immediately.
- Be Aware: Caller ID showing a “local” number does not necessarily mean it is a local caller.
- Do not respond to any questions, especially those that can be answered with “Yes.”
- Never give out personal information.
- If you get an inquiry from someone who says they represent a company or a government agency, hang up and call the phone number on your account statement, in the phone book, or on the company’s or government agency’s website to verify the authenticity of the request.