Last updated on October 18, 2021
In November of 2020, I decided to purchase myself a new Windows-based laptop. The last Windows-based laptop I bought was back in 2006.
I was willing to spend around $1500 for a computer to handle all that I can throw at it — audio editing, games, graphic design, photography, and video editing. Time for some research.
I love to research!
Are you thinking about purchasing a new laptop or desktop for the home or office?
Consider hiring me to research all the options for you. I’ll “interview” you with some easy-to-answer questions then I’ll get to it. I’ll return as many options that fit the project, within whatever budget and time frame you request.
Contact me today!
What Kind of Laptop do I Need?
Knowing what I will be using my laptop for, I started to look at gaming laptops to see what I could find in my price range.
I always advise my clients — when looking for a new computer — to buy more than what you think you need. That way the new laptop/computer will be able to handle whatever you throw at for several years.
I constantly see clients who buy inexpensive laptops/computers and either replace them every couple of years, or they will limp along for several years.
I eventually decided to purchase the Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop. In short, this laptop was a steal considering its many talents and abilities.
This laptop has multi-colored lights for the keyboard — which can be a normal thing for gaming laptops. But, there is a nice control panel to turn it off or you can create a custom pattern. Very handy when working in a dimly lit room.
Below is a short video showing the multi-colored keyboard, set up to use a wave pattern.
Specifications and Information
The Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop is a great laptop for work or home use. No matter if you play games, or are a photographer, enjoy watching YouTube videos and just browsing the web. This laptop is ready for battle and eager for a fight. 🙂
With the 144Hz IPS panel and 3ms overdrive response time you can say farewell to blur and hello to clear, crisp, high-octane gameplay and video playback. In general, movement (in a game) feels smoother compared to the normal 60Hz panels on most laptops or monitors.
Online, keep control over your ping with Killer Control Center 2.0, Killer Ethernet E2600 + Killer’s Wireless AX 1650i components.
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 5.0 GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- Overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory, 512GB NVMe SSD (2 x M.2 slots | 1 Slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 – Available Hard Drive Bay
- 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard | Wireless: Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AX 1650i 802. 11ax Wi-Fi 6 | LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | DTS X: Ultra Audio | 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan