Last updated on September 2, 2021
xFi Advanced Security is a new artificial-intelligence-powered service/app for Xfinity Internet customers that monitors, blocks, and informs you of online threats to connected devices, and provides seamless digital protection for those devices when connected to their home network.
Having WiFi Coverage issues with your Xfinity Internet?
Are you having WiFi coverage issues in your home or office? Check out this article where I share my success spreading solid WiFi performance end-to-end of my Mom’s 2,700 sq. foot home.
How Much Does Xfinity xFi Advanced Security Cost?
I would advise any Xfinity (Comcast) customers to download the app onto their mobile devices (phones and tablets). In a nutshell, it will allow you to easily manage your home network and see what devices are currently using it (and how much they use it).
Do you still need Anti-Virus protection on your computer?
Yes! And that’s because Xfinity xFi Advanced Security isn’t an antivirus program.
Xfinity xFi Advanced Security is a firewall that does a very good job at stopping many security threats which prevent them from reaching any computer or device on your home/office network.
A firewall is a network security system that monitors and controls incoming and outgoing network traffic based on predetermined security rules. A firewall typically establishes a barrier between a trusted network and an untrusted network, such as the Internet.Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewall_(computing)
But, no firewall or security app is perfect. So I recommend Malwarebytes Premium for Mac and PC (also available for Android). Combined with the Windows Defender, built into Windows 10/11 and (at least) an ad blocker for your web browser.
Here is the write-up from the iOS app page: “The Xfinity xFi app will change the way you WiFi with a whole new way to personalize and control your home network. With xFi, you can set up your home WiFi and be online in minutes, find your WiFi password, know who’s online, troubleshoot issues, and even pause WiFi access.
Xfinity xFi is available to Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible Xfinity Gateway.”
Key features of Xfinity xFi Advanced Security:
• Simple, easy setup of your Xfinity Internet service and home WiFi – no Comcast technician required.
• View and change your WiFi name and password.
• See what devices are connected to your home network and give them nicknames for easy reference.
• Create profiles so you can assign devices to your family members.
• Set parental controls and bedtime schedules so your kids see the right content and sleep when they should.
• Pause WiFi access for any device or profile.
• Troubleshoot issues on your own without calling customer service.
• Manage advanced network settings to customize your home network.
• Add xFi Pods to help eliminate dead spots for more consistent, reliable WiFi coverage throughout your home.
• Xfinity Internet subscription with an xFi Wireless Gateway or xFi Advanced Gateway
• Xfinity ID and password