Recently Comcast sent out emails to their customers in our area (Southern Delaware) about a new product called xFi Advanced Security which is available for free via their iOS or Android app. The email states that this is a $72 a year value.
I would advise all of my clients who have the Comcast Internet service to download the app onto their mobile devices (phones and tablets). In a nutshell, it will allow you to easily manage your home network and see what devices are currently using it (and how much they use it).
Here is the write-up from the iOS app page: “The Xfinity xFi app will change the way you WiFi with a whole new way to personalize and control your home network. With xFi, you can set up your home WiFi and be online in minutes, find your WiFi password, know who’s online, troubleshoot issues, and even pause WiFi access.
Xfinity xFi is available to Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible Xfinity Gateway.”
The app page states these key features:
• Simple, easy setup of your Xfinity Internet service and home WiFi – no Comcast technician required.
• View and change your WiFi name and password.
• See what devices are connected to your home network and give them nicknames for easy reference.
• Create profiles so you can assign devices to your family members.
• Set parental controls and bedtime schedules so your kids see the right content and sleep when they should.
• Pause WiFi access for any device or profile.
• Troubleshoot issues on your own without calling customer service.
• Manage advanced network settings to customize your home network.
• Add xFi Pods to help eliminate deadspots for more consistent, reliable WiFi coverage throughout your home.
• Xfinity Internet subscription with an xFi Wireless Gateway or xFi Advanced Gateway
• Xfinity ID and password